Grilled veggies with lemon herb vinaigrette is a tasty and easy way to dress up a simple dinner side.
Summertime means grilling season. It also means the farmer’s market is in full bloom and the stalls are overflowing with gorgeous produce. Today’s recipe is a great way to add brightness and flavor to a simple side of veggies that I got from my local farmer’s market. My Grilled Veggies with Lemon Herb Vinaigrette could be used with plenty of vegetables that you might already have on hand, but I used asparagus and zucchini this time around. Pair this with an easy grilled dinner, and you can keep you kitchen cool and clean while still enjoying a delicious, and healthy meal!
- Asparagus: A bit grassy in taste, they are sweeter the closer you can get them to harvest.
- Zucchini: While a tad bitter when raw, it sweetens when cooked. It also softens to be tender and soft.
- Olive oil: A heart healthy oil that is mild in flavor and helps to cook the veggies as well as dress them afterwards.
- Lemon: In typical Lemon Bowl fashion, I use both the zest and juice of the lemon in this dressing for a bright, acidic, citrus flavor.
- Scallions: Also called green onions, they have a mild oniony and peppery flavor.
- Garlic: Pungent and aromatic, garlic is a staple in most of my vinaigrettes.
- Fresh herbs: Use what you have! Mint, basil, dill, parsley, rosemary. Just one or a combination adds great flavor to the veggies.
- Chili flakes: Gives a great little kick of heat to the side dish.
How to Make Grilled Veggies with Lemon Herb Vinaigrette
Start your grilled veggies with lemon herb vinaigrette by trimming your asparagus and slicing your zucchini.
Then drizzle your veggies in olive oil and sprinkle with some salt.
Grill on high for about 3 minutes per side before removing from grill.
Next you’ll make the lemon herb vinaigrette by mincing your fresh herbs and scallions. I used basil, dill, and parsley this time around.
Add the herbs and scallions to a small bowl and then use a microplane or grater to add the garlic.
Then add the zest and lemon juice (always zest first).
Drizzle in the olive oil over the top.
And finish with the chili flakes and stir to combine.
Then take your lemon herb vinaigrette and pour it over the grilled asparagus and zucchini.
Season with salt and pepper to taste, serve, and enjoy your grilled veggies with lemon herb vinaigrette!
- Swap the veggies. This would taste great with lots of variations, including eggplant, broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, or mushrooms.
- Change the dressing. Switch it up with the fresh herbs you have on hand! Or if you don’t like the kick of heat, omit the chili flakes.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Should you marinate vegetables before grilling?
You definitely can! But vegetables actually soak in flavors really well after being cooked, which is why I like to dress them after cooking.
Do you grill vegetables directly on the grill?
Depending on the vegetable, you can grill directly on the grill! You can also make a foil boat, or use a grill basket.
Should you marinate vegetables with meat?
If you’re only using the veggies as part of the marinade (like onion), then it’s fine to marinate with the meat. But if you plan on eating the vegetables, like in this recipe, you would want to marinate separately from raw meat.
More Grill Recipes
- Grilled Eggplant Parmesan
- Ginger Teriyaki Grilled Chicken Breasts
- Grilled Turkey Burgers with Pesto
- Flank Steak Tacos
- Grilled Rosemary Sweet Potato Fries
Did you try this recipe and like it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your dish.
The grill isn’t just for meat anymore, and my Grilled Veggies with Lemon Herb Vinaigrette is a delicious way to add vegetables to your meal plan.
Your fork is waiting.
Grilled Veggies with Lemon Herb Vinaigrette
- 1 bunch asparagus (trimmed)
- 1 large zucchini (sliced horizontally 1/2″ thick)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Lemon Herb Vinaigrette
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 scallions (minced)
- 1 clove garlic (grated)
- ¼ cup chopped herbs ((mint,basil, parsley, etc.))
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- Pre-heat grill on high.
- In a glass bowl or resealable plastic bag, combine asparagus, zucchini and olive oil to coat.
- Heat for 2-3 minutes per side then remove from grill.
- While veggies are cooking, whisk together all of the vinaigrette ingredients (lemon through chili flakes.)
- When veggies come off the grill, pour vinaigrette on top and serve.
5 thoughts on “Grilled Veggies with Lemon Herb Vinaigrette”
There is no such thing as too much zuchini! This looks yummy!
Those veggies look SO good! Love the vinaigrette on them. My kind of eating.
Thank you sista!!! Wish we were eating them together. :)
This vinaigrette was delish on grilled veggies!! Will definitely make again!
Oh I’m so glad to hear that Leigh!!