Nothing beats a freshly grilled taco in the middle of Summer. If the word taco conjures an image of flour tortillas filled with ground beef, cheddar cheese and iceburg lettuce then you are in for a real treat. If you typically buy a creepy flavor packet to create a taco night, I beg of you to give this recipe a go. My quick and easy spice rub is full of flavor and takes minutes to prepare. Just like preparing a homemade marinade or salad dressing, you will not only save money but you can control the sodium of your tacos. I love salt more than the average person and even I can’t stomach the sodium provided by taco seasoning packets.
Tacos are extremely versatile. Not a fan of red meat? Use this rub on chicken breasts or thighs. Love pico de gallo? Toss together chopped tomatoes, red onion and fresh cilantro with a little lime juice and salt and you are good to go. Guacamole fan? Mash ripe avocados with lime juice, sea salt and cilantro. Feel free to add garlic and cumin if you want to add more flavor.
Whatever you do, give iceberg lettuce and cheddar cheese the night off.
Your grill is waiting.
Flank Steak Tacos
- 1 lb flank steak
- 1 tbs cumin
- ½ tbs smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 1 large red pepper (sliced)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- white corn tortillas
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- pico de gallo (optional)
- guacamole (optional)
- In a small bowl, create dry rub for flank steak by whisking together all spices (cumin through cayenne pepper.)
- Rub spice mixture all over both sides of the steak and let sit 30 minutes or longer.
- Meanwhile, mix onion and pepper slices with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Take two large sheets of tinfoil and create a large, over lapping square.
- Place peppers/onions in the middle and create a sealed pouch to throw on grill.
- Pre-heat grill to medium high.
- Once heated, add flank steak and veggie packet to grill. For medium-rare doneness, cook steak 4 minutes per side, turning once.
- Cook veggies for 10 minutes, flipping once.
- Place white corn tortillas in tin foil and seal before throwing on the grill during last minute to warm.
- Serve tacos with sliced flank steak, peppers/onions and toppings of choice. (I made a quick pico de gallo and guacamole for mine.)