Smoky, spicy, and topped with roasted red pepper and onion, these Flank Steak Tacos are the perfect meal to please the whole family.
Nothing beats a freshly grilled taco when the weather warms up. If the word taco conjures an image of flour tortillas filled with ground beef, cheddar cheese, and iceberg lettuce, then you are in for a real treat. My quick and easy spice rub is full of flavor and takes minutes to prepare, creating flavor packed Flank Steak Tacos. Not the right weather for grilling? No worries, you can make these in the oven, too!
- For the dry rub: cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, garlic powder, coriander, kosher salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper.
- For the tacos: flank steak, onion, red pepper, corn tortillas, toppings of choice.
How to Make Flank Steak Tacos
Start your flank steak tacos by creating your spice rub.
In a dish large enough to fit most of the steak, add the cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, garlic powder, coriander, cayenne pepper, kosher salt, and pepper.
Mix all of the spices together to make your dry rub, and get your grill or broiler heating up to medium-high heat.
Then you’ll make sure to coat your steak evenly on both sides, let it marinate for at least 30 minutes, then throw it on the grill for about 4 minutes a side for medium-rare, or until you’ve reached desired doneness.
Next, take your sliced onion and red pepper and drizzle them with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, then wrap up in a tin foil boat. Toss them on the grill in the tin foil for about 10 minutes.
Once you remove the steak from the grill or oven, let it rest for a few minutes, then slice it into thin strips.
Remove the veggies and they’ll be slightly caramelized and delicious. You can toss your tortillas on the grill for about a minute as well to warm them up, or warm them on the stove.
You’re ready to assemble your tacos! Take the warmed tortillas, and layer steak, grilled veggies, and any toppings of choice.
Finish them off with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and cilantro, and enjoy your Flank Steak Tacos!
Change It Up
- Change the protein. You could also use skirt or flat iron steak. Not a fan of red meat? Use this rub on chicken breasts or thighs.
- Add some toppings. Toss together some pico de gallo or salsa; mash up some avocados to make some guacamole. Like it spicy? Add some sliced jalapeño.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I cut flank steak for tacos?
Cut it against the grain into thin strips. To see which way the grain is going, look at the whole steak and see which direction the muscle fibers are going.
Is flank steak or skirt steak better for tacos?
Both can be used for tacos, but flank steak is the more lean, less chewy option.
What is broiling?
Broiling is basically indoor grilling. Set your oven on broil (usually has 2 settings, low or high), and it applies direct heat from just the top of the oven. So just like flipping the meat on the grill half-way through, you’ll want to flip your food half-way through broiling as well.
How do I store leftover flank steak tacos?
Keep the ingredient separate in their own air-tight containers, and leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
More Grilling Recipes
- Garlic Soy Marinated Flank Steak
- Grilled Chicken Shawarma
- Chipotle Soy Turkey Tenderloins
- Greek Turkey Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce
- Garlic Rosemary Lamb Chops
Did you try this dish and love it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your meal.
Whether you decide to cook outdoors on the grill, or use your oven inside, these Flank Steak Tacos are sure to be a crowd pleaser.
No fork required.
Flank Steak Tacos
- 1 pound flank steak
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 1 large red pepper (sliced)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- white corn tortillas
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- pico de gallo (optional)
- guacamole (optional)
- In a small bowl, create dry rub for flank steak by whisking together all of the spices. Rub spice mixture all over both sides of the steak and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss onion and pepper slices with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Take two large sheets of tinfoil and create a large, overlapping square. Place peppers and onions in the middle and create a sealed pouch to throw on the grill or into the oven.
- Pre-heat grill to medium high, or set oven to broil.
- Once heated, add flank steak and veggie packet to grill or oven. For medium-rare, cook steak about 4 minutes per side, turning once.
- Cook veggies for 10 minutes, flipping once.
- Place corn tortillas in tin foil and seal before throwing on the grill during last minute to warm. You could also warm them on the stove.
- Serve tacos with sliced flank steak, peppers, onions and toppings of choice. (I made a quick pico de gallo and guacamole for mine.)
I couldn’t believe my tastebuds when I tried these tacos, oh my god these are amazing! As the owner of a local cheesesteak place on Long Island (https://chiddyscheesesteaks.com) I’m a very picky eater ESPIECALLY when it comes to steak but this was absolutely amazing, great work on the recipe, even the presentation was beautiful!! Will be checking back for new, amazing food.