These taco salad bowls are piled high with seasoned ground beef, creamy avocado, fresh veggies, and crunchy tortilla chips.
Since we always have a big batch of my homemade taco seasoning mix on hand, I love creating new and different taco-inspired recipes that I know my boys will devour.
A modern spin on the old fashioned taco night, these taco salad bowls are brimming with seasoned beef and corn, crisp lettuce, juicy tomatoes, creamy avocado and more. For added crunch and texture, I top with tortilla chips and minced onions.
In lieu of using store-bought taco seasoning packets, I prefer to season the ground beef with my homemade taco seasoning blend made with garlic powder, smoked paprika, oregano and other simple spices you likely have on hand in the pantry.
Ground meat options:
My preferred is ground sirloin which is 90% lean but you could use ground turkey, ground chicken or even ground chuck. Note: if you’re using ground chuck you will want to drain out a bit of the excess fat before adding in the corn.
If you want to add guacamole instead of the plain avocado, go ahead and use my ultimate guacamole recipe made with just five ingredients.
For these bowls, I used chopped tomatoes, onion and cilantro but you could make pico de gallo or use store-bought salsa instead of keeping the ingredients separate.
To keep the pico de gallo mild, skip the jalapeno and just add onion, lime juice, salt and cilantro.
I personally don’t think the salad needs a dressing but if you’d like a little something to drizzle on top I highly recommend my honey-lime vinaigrette.
How Long Will These Salads Last?
I would store the meat mixture separately from the salad and reheat the meat mixture before serving. Both will last about 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Be sure to squeeze a little lime juice on the avocado to keep it from browning.
Your fork is waiting.
Taco Salad Bowls with Ground Beef
- 8 cups chopped romaine (or shredded cabbage )
- 1 avocado (pitted and diced)
- 1 cup red onion (minced)
- 1 cup tomato (diced)
- 16 tortilla chips
- 1 cup cilantro (roughly chopped)
- jalapeno slices and lime wedges (optional, to serve)
Beef and Corn Mixture
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 batch taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and drizzle with olive oil. Add ground beef to the pan and begin breaking down using a potato masher or wooden spoon. Sprinkle in taco seasoning mix and cook until beef is browned about 8-10 minutes. During the last minute or so of cook time, add in the corn and heat until warmed through; remove from heat and set aside.
- To assemble taco salad bowls, fill four bowls with two cups of lettuce of cabbage as a base. Top with equal parts beef and corn mixture, red onion, tomato, avocado, and tortilla chips. Garnish with cilantro, lime and jalapeno slices if you wish.
Check out my Pinterest board for more healthy Mexican recipes!