A classic Lebanese weeknight dinner recipe, hushwee rice is cooked in clarified butter and seasoned with cinnamon then topped with shredded chicken and toasted pine nuts.
My family gets together for Sunday dinner almost every week, either at my house, my sister’s house or my mom’s house. This Lebanese Hushwee Rice with Roasted Chicken is inspired by my mom who makes this Syrian comfort food dish for our family on a regular basis.
To stretch the meal even further, my mom often tops it with shredded roasted chicken. Some days it’s from a rotisserie chicken, other days it is homemade Lebanese Roasted Chicken. It really just depends on what she has on hand and how much time she has to cook.
Your family is waiting.
Lebanese Hushwee Rice with Chicken
- 4 servings Lebanese Hushwee prepared
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1/4 cup vermicelli noodles broken in small pieces
- 1 cup long grain enriched rice parboiled rinsed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted
- 12 ounces shredded cooked chicken breast such as rotisserie
- minced parsley to serve
- Cucumber Laban and pita bread to serve
- Prepare the Lebanese Hushwee and set aside. While hushwee meat is browning, melt clarified butter in a deep skillet over medium heat. Add vermicelli noodles and toast until deep brown.
- Stir in rinsed rice and cook for 1-2 minutes to lightly toast the rice. Add reserved hushwee to the pan and stir to combine. Add chicken broth, salt and pepper to the pot and stir once. Bring to a boil then cover with a lid and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes, leaving the lid on the entire time.
- Remove from heat and gently rice and meat with a fork. Top with shredded chicken meat (or fold it into the rice) then garnish with additional toasted pine nuts and fresh parsley. Serve with pita bread and Cucumber Laban .
Photography by Alejandro Photography // Recipe by The Lemon Bowl
Love Lebanese food? Check out my Pinterest board for more recipes!