In this Kale Caesar Salad, kale is massaged until tender in a bright and flavorful dressing made with lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and Parmesan cheese.
If you don’t think you like kale or that your family wouldn’t eat it, I’m here to let you in on a little secret: kale needs to be massaged first! As you rub-down the kale leaves with a little olive oil, the leaves darken and shrink up making it soft and quite delicious to eat. While there are many ways you can dress a salad, my family is a huge fan of my shredded Kale Caesar Salad.
- Kale: A hearty leafy green with a lot of crunch, it has a strong earthy taste and is great raw or cooked.
- Lemon juice: Adds bright, acidic flavor to the dressing that balances out the nutty and salty flavors.
- Parmesan cheese: Nutty and earthy, it’s a hard cheese that goes well on salads and pastas.
- Olive oil: A heart healthy oil that helps to dress the salad and soften the kale leaves.
- Anchovy paste: Pungent and salty, a little goes a long way in adding a great savory flavor to sauces and more, without making things taste fishy.
- Garlic: I add garlic to almost everything, as it adds strong, delicious flavor and aromatics.
- Dijon mustard: A tad bit tangier and spicier than regular mustard, it adds great flavor to the dressing.
How to Make Kale Caesar Salad
Start your Kale Caesar Salad by cleaning and cutting your kale. I like to shred it into very thin pieces.
Next, start your dressing by putting anchovy paste and grating garlic into a large bowl.
Then add the grated parmesan cheese.
Followed by the dijon mustard.
Next add the lemon juice, making sure you catch any seeds.
Gently whisk in the olive oil until the dressing is combined.
Add your shredded kale and gently massage leaves until evenly coated and leaves are softened.
If desired, season with salt and pepper, then top with fresh parmesan cheese and enjoy your Kale Caesar Salad!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can you eat kale raw in a salad?
Yes, in this salad the kale is raw! Like I’ve mentioned, you want to make sure the kale leaves are massaged and evenly coated in the dressing to help soften them.
What do you eat with a caesar salad?
This salad pairs great with pasta, seafood, or grilled meats!
How do you store leftover kale caesar salad?
Keep it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Greek Herb Salad with Feta
- Smashed Chickpea Salad with Dill
- Syrian Salad
- Strawberry Arugula Salad
- Traditional Greek Salad
Eat It, Like It, Share It!
Did you try this salad? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials. Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your meal.
Don’t be afraid of the anchovy paste! My kids love this salad, and have never mentioned anything fishy about it. Give this Kale Caesar Salad a try and see for yourself!
Your fork is waiting.
Kale Caesar Salad
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the Caesar dressing (lemon juice through Dijon mustard.)
- Add kale and massage until tender, about 45-60 seconds.
- Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.