Tuna salad, the lunchtime classic, gets a Mediterranean upgrade in my tasty version made with kalamata olives, roasted red peppers and fresh basil.
Tuna salad reminds me of my mommy. Growing up, we always had a few cans of tuna in the pantry for a quick, protein-packed lunch. To this day, nothing is quite as comforting as my mom’s homemade tuna salad made with celery, onion and Miracle Whip. Yes, we were a Miracle Whip family growing up. It was a sad day when I discovered the main ingredient is corn syrup but I would be lying if I said I don’t still crave it from time to time!
My Mediterranean Tuna Salad Sandwich is an homage to my childhood favorite. Packed with roasted red peppers, briny kalamata olives and fresh basil, this sandwich is going to quickly become your new family tradition.
For added crunch and even more flavor, I love topping it with plenty of Mezzetta® mild banana pepper rings. We love whole grain seed bread from our local bakery but this would be great in a whole wheat wrap or stuffed in a pita.
Mediterranean Tuna Salad
- 2 five ounce cans tuna drained
- 1/3 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup real mayonnaise or plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup Mezzetta Pitted Greek Kalamata Olives sliced
- 1/4 cup Mezzetta Roasted Red Bell Peppers
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil - mined or Italian parsley
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- Slices Optional Toppings: romaine lettuce Mezzetta Deli Sliced Pepper Rings and Roasted Red Bell Pepper
- Place drained tuna in a medium bowl and add onion, mayonnaise, olives, roasted peppers, lemon juice and fresh basil. Stir with a fork until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Top four slices of bread with a lettuce leaf then add equal portions of tuna salad to each piece. Garnish with optional toppings then top with second slice of bread before slicing and serving.