A fun spin on the traditional Italian dish, this naturally gluten free cheesy Mexican lasagna recipe is made with shredded chicken, black beans and corn and packed with 33g of protein each serving.
June is National Dairy Month and to celebrate I was recently partnered with a local dairy farmer here in West Michigan, Annie Link from SwissLane Dairy Farms. As part of the United Dairy Industry of Michigan Meet #MIFarmFamilies, I had the chance to chat with Annie to learn more about her life as a busy working mom like myself.
What made the partnership even more special? As luck would have it, my oldest son’s preschool class had a field trip last month to visit Annie’s farm! He and his classmates had the chance to learn more about where their favorite foods like milk, cheese and yogurt come from. They even got to feed baby calves!
In fact, that’s Annie there on the top right. When I chatted with Annie I wanted to learn more about how she gets her kids in the kitchen and what foods they love to cook together. Almost every recipe she shared was Mexican themed so I knew that this month’s recipe in honor of Meet #MIFarmFamilies Campaign would be just that – a Mexican dish!
This Mexican Lasagna with Chicken and Black Beans made with corn tortillas, Greek yogurt and salsa verde is naturally gluten free and protein-packed. Layered with shredded chicken, black beans and sweet corn, each serving has over 33 grams of protein.
Of course, like every lasagna, you can’t forget the cheesy topping. We love using shredded sharp cheddar but Monterey jack or a Mexican blend would work too! To serve, top with creamy avocado chunks, minced red onion and a little Sriracha if you like a kick.
Your fork is waiting.
Mexican Lasagna With Chicken and Beans
- 2 cups 5-Ingredient Salsa Verde – divided (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 cups plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 12 ounces shredded chicken breasts (such as rotisserie)
- 15 ounce can black beans (drained or rinsed)
- 1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 ½ cups shredded 2% sharp cheddar cheese
- avocado (cilantro, red onion – optional garnish)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and have a 9 x 13 baking dish ready to use.
- In a large bowl, mix together 1 cup of the salsa verde with the plain Greek yogurt, shredded chicken, black beans, corn, cumin and smoked paprika. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- Begin assembling the lasagna by adding a quarter cup of the remaining salsa verde to the bottom of the glass baking dish. Using a rubber spatula to spread to prevent tortillas from sticking.
- Lay four corn tortillas on top of the salsa verde over-lapping as little as possible.
- Scoop out 1/2 of the chicken and bean mixture and spread in an even layer on top of the tortillas.
- Place another layer of four corn tortillas on top of the chicken mixture, pressing down firmly to remove any excess air.
- Add the remaining chicken and bean mixture and spread out evenly once again on top of the tortillas.
- Top with remaining four tortillas and press down once more to remove excess air. Drizzle the top with the remaining 3/4 cup salsa verde then sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until cheese is golden and bubbly, about 45 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes to set before slicing to serve.
- Garnish with avocado, cilantro and red onion before serving.