Roasted Asparagus and Red Peppers is sweet, tender, and melts in your mouth as the flavors caramelize in the oven.
Do you love roasted red peppers as much as I do? Sweet, tender, and packed with vitamins, they are a perfect addition to pizzas, salads, and antipasto platters. I love pairing red peppers with plenty of roasted veggies, but a favorite is Roasted Asparagus and Red Peppers. It’s the perfect side dish to any dinner item.
- Red pepper: Of all the bell peppers, red peppers are the sweetest and as I’ve mentioned, roast to be super tender.
- Asparagus: Earthy and somewhat bittersweet, it’s a great source of fiber, folate, and vitamins.
- Olive oil: A heart-healthy oil, it’s subtle fruity and nutty taste pairs well with most vegetables.
- Lemon: This recipe calls for the zest and juice of one lemon, which adds pure, strong citrus flavor.
- Salt & pepper: Enhances the flavors of the asparagus and peppers.
How to Make Roasted Asparagus and Red Peppers
Start your roasted asparagus and red peppers by trimming off the bottoms of your asparagus spears and slicing your red bell pepper. If you are wondering how much to trim, bend the bottom of the asparagus stalk back, and it’ll usually break where it needs to be cut off anyway!
Then put all of the asparagus and red pepper slices in a large resealable bag or a large bowl.
Drizzle in the olive oil.
Then add the lemon zest on top.
And the freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Finish by sprinkling in the salt and freshly ground pepper.
Seal the bag and shake it up to get everything evenly coated. Or toss well in your large bowl.
Then lay the asparagus and red peppers in an even layer on a prepared baking sheet. Throw in the oven at 450 degrees and roast for 15-20 minutes.
Garnish with fresh lemon juice, serve, and enjoy your Roasted Asparagus and Red Peppers!
Shake It Up
- Add some cheese. Topping this dish with some parmesan cheese or goat cheese would be delicious!
- Up the spices. Try adding some minced garlic, or some chili flakes to increase the flavor and add a kick of heat.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can you make this recipe on the grill?
Yes! This recipe can be done on the grill in a vegetable basket or a tin foil boat.
What spice or herb goes well with asparagus?
Asparagus is often seasoned with herbs like basil, rosemary, and thyme. I also season it with za’atar, which is a Middle Eastern spice blend, and garlic frequently.
Should asparagus be blanched before roasting?
You can, but you don’t have to!
More SIde Dishes
- Lebanese Green Beans with Tomatoes
- Greek Herb Salad
- Roasted Eggplant with Za’atar and Tahini Sauce
- Smashed Chickpea Salad with Dill
- Strawberry Arugula Salad
Eat It, LIke It, Share It!
Did you try this recipe? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your dish.
What did you pair with your Roasted Asparagus and Red Peppers? Let me know in the comments!
Your fork is waiting.
Roasted Asparagus with Red Peppers
- 1 red pepper (cored and sliced)
- 2 bunches asparagus
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Trim asparagus (snap off end) and place in a large zip loc bag.
- Add red pepper slices, olive oil, zest, juice, salt and pepper.
- Seal bag and shake to evenly coat.
- Spread veggies in an even layer on baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes.