Do you love roasted red peppers as much as I do? Sweet, tender and packed with vitamins, they are a perfect addition to pizzas, salads and antipasto platters. But have you ever noticed how expensive they are in the grocery store? In addition to being over priced, the bottled version never tastes as fresh and flavorful as a homemade roasted red pepper.
Roasting red peppers at home is quick and easy. During warm months, you can do it right in the oven as I did below. You can also char them over a gas stove and let steam in a glass bowl covered with plastic wrap before peeling off the charred skin. When it heats up, head outside and char them over the grill. Once the peppers are nice and black all over, place them in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap to let steam just as you would do when roasting them indoors.
Today’s recipe doesn’t require you to roast the peppers separately or remove the skin but the end result is still the same: the pepper caramelizes in the oven and becomes sweet, tender and melts in your mouth. This entire recipe can be done on the grill in a vegetable basket.
Your fork is waiting.
Roasted Asparagus and Red Peppers
- 1 red pepper (cored and sliced)
- 2 bunches asparagus
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Trim asparagus (snap off end) and place in a large zip loc bag.
- Add red pepper slices, olive oil, zest, juice, salt and pepper.
- Seal bag and shake to evenly coat.
- Spread veggies in an even layer on baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes.