Roasted vegetables are dressed lightly with a garlicky tahini lemon sauce with bright parsley to brighten the flavor.
Tahini and I are BFF’s. My son adores hummus and so does his mama so we make it weekly around here. When I run low on tahini, I get the hives.
Of course, I can’t let hummus have all of the fun. Tahini is a nutritional power-house packed with healthy fats. Brace yourself for what I’m about to say: fat is your friend! Here’s why:
1. Helps Boost Absorbtion of Fat-Soluble Vitamins: Did you know that certain vitamins require fat to be fully absorbed? Vitamins A, D, K and E all need fat in order to be carried into the bloodstream and on to our organs that need them.
2. Fat = Flavor: If food doesn’t taste delicious, it doesn’t matter how healthy it is because no one will eat it. A little sesame oil on steamed brocolli goes a long way, my friends.
3. Omega-3’s: I’ve said it once, I’ve said it twice and I’ll say it again: omega-3 fatty acids are critical and most people don’t consume enough. If you don’t eat fatty fish 3 times/week, tahini, walnuts, flax seed and other sources are key.
Warning: Be sure to make extra tahini sauce. It is fabulous drizzled over grilled meats, used as a dip for veggies or added to a breakfast smoothie. Just kidding. Although….
Your fork is waiting.
Roasted Vegetables with Tahini Lemon Sauce
- 1 in head cauliflower cut florets
- 2 in sweet potatoes cut cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 juice and zest of lemon
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 c hot water
- 1/4 c parsley minced
- Pre-heat oven to 400.
- Toss cauliflower and sweet potato with olive oil, salt and pepper then spread out in an even layer on foil-lined baking sheet. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until browned.
- In a small bowl, whisk together tahini, lemon juice/zest, garlic and salt. Slowly add in the hot water until desired consistency is reached. Stir in parsley and set aside.
- When vegetables are done roasting, serve on a platter and drizzle with tahini lemon parsley sauce. Serve warm or at room temp.