Warm curry flavors and creamy coconut milk add flavor and moisture to lean chicken breasts.
When it comes to preparing moist and delicious dishes using lean, boneless skinless breasts I’ve learned the that the slow cooker is your friend! By locking in the moisture and cooking the meat slowly, you always end up with tender and juicy chicken without relying on fat, oil or extra calories from the skin.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m pretty thrilled that grilling season has finally arrived but the truth is when it is sweltering hot out, sometimes it is nice to cook dinner inside. The slow cooker is a great alternative to the stove and oven because it doesn’t heat up your kitchen and house. (Anyone else live with an A/C control freak husband? No? Oh…)
This dish is extremely versatile. Of course, there’s always the vegetarian version full of delicious veggies like cauliflower and Brussels. Don’t have sweet potatoes on hand? Butternut squash would be a great substitute. Want to use chicken thighs instead? Be my guest – they are full of flavor. Want to douse it in sriracha before serving? By all means.
Your fork is waiting.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion - thinly sliced
- 15 oz can chickpeas - drained and rinsed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes - peeled and diced
- ½ cup coconut milk - light
- ½ cup chicken stock - low sodium
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons curry powder - salt-free
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne powder - optional
- 1 cup green peas - frozen
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- cilantro - optional garnish
- In the bottom of the slow cooker, whisk together coconut milk, chicken stock, tomato sauce, curry powder, salt and cayenne.
- Add chicken breasts, onion, chickpeas and sweet potatoes. Using tongs, gently toss ingredients together to ensure evenly coated.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- Stir in peas and lemon juice 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve over rice and with plenty of fresh cilantro.