Ham and cheese egg muffins are the ideal, protein-packed breakfast that can be made ahead and quickly reheated on busy weekday mornings.
Everyone warned me that two would be harder than one but boy were they right! To say that our mornings are a little hectic would be an understatement. By the time I nurse the baby, change a zillion diapers and get my 2 year old to sit down long enough to eat breakfast, I am barely able to take two sips of my coffee. These make-ahead Ham and Egg Muffins have been a total game changer for several reasons:
Packed in Protein: As I continue working off the baby weight, I’ve been readjusting my calorie intake to include a higher percentage of protein each day. Two of these egg muffins have less than 200 calories and provide over 20 grams of protein! Now that I’m finally back at the gym, protein is even more vital for muscle function.
Versatile: When I first made these muffins, I actually made “His and Hers” versions. Since I typically share a green smoothie with my toddler mid-morning, I decided to skip the veggies in mine. For my husband I quickly sautéed broccoli and kale then placed a little in the bottom of each muffin tin before pouring in the egg mixture.
Morning Time Saver: These muffins take 5 minutes to whisk together in a bowl before I pop them in the oven to bake. Once they have cooled, I refrigerate them until I need them later in the week. A quick 30-60 seconds in the microwave and a hot and healthy breakfast is done. (PS: My goal in life is to have someone describe me as “hot and healthy.”)
The bottom line: get creative and make these your own with whatever veggies you have on hand that week! These are a great way to use up veggies a little past their prime and avoid food waste. It’s also a great way to let the kids customize their own muffins and have fun in the kitchen.
What would you put in your egg muffins??
Your fork is waiting.
- one dozen large eggs
- ½ cup skim milk
- 6 slices Candian bacon - diced
- ¼ cup minced scallions
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices 2% sharp cheddar - diced (or 4 ounces shredded)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and spray a muffin pan with cooking spray or use a silicon pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and milk until light and fluffy. Stir in the Canadian bacon, scallions and salt/pepper to taste.
- Divide egg mixture evenly between 12 muffin tins (about ⅓ cup each) then sprinkle evenly with sharp cheddar.
- Bake until eggs are set, 25-30 minutes. Let cool slightly to ensure eggs are set before removing from pan to serve.
To freeze, wrap each egg muffin individually in plastic wrap then store in a plastic bag.
Reheat in the microwave for 60 seconds if refrigerated, 2-3 minutes if frozen.