These Make-Ahead Fruit and Yogurt Protein Parfaits are an easy, make-ahead breakfast packed with plenty of protein and heart-healthy fats to give you all-day energy.
My husband leaves for work around 6:30am most weekdays so I love coming up with easy, make-ahead breakfast ideas that he can quickly eat before heading out the door. While he loves eating dry cereal (no milk!!), I would rather push the envelop and get him to eat a more well-rounded meal that includes protein, calcium and at least one serving of fruits or vegetables.
In fact, my Ham and Cheese Baked Egg Cups were the result of an earlier quest for a nutritious make-ahead breakfast. I went the classic route with ham and cheese but he actually enjoyed his with roasted broccoli, kale, and feta. They were a huge hit and I will definitely be making these again soon.
Another item I always have on hand is Homemade Instant Oatmeal Mix. My husband loves dried apricots and I love walnuts but you can customize this recipe with any of your favorite dried fruits, nuts, or seeds.
These Make-Ahead Fruit and Yogurt Protein Parfaits are ideal for making ahead on Sunday and enjoying throughout the week. Walnuts, pumpkin seeds, chia and flax seeds will give you the ideal balance of healthy, monounsaturated fat, and protein. The yogurt is sweetened with a little pure maple syrup which plays off the warm cinnamon and cloves in the nut topping.
We are still in the height of berry season here so I used fresh raspberries and blueberries but feel free to use any of your favorite fresh or frozen berries. The options are endless.
Your spoon is waiting.
Make Ahead Fruit and Yogurt Protein Parfaits
- In a medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, maple syrup, and vanilla. Pour into a liquid measuring cup and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together seeds, nuts, and spices.
- To assemble parfaits, set out five glasses or mason jars and pour in ¼ cup or so of the yogurt mixture into each glass.
- Top the yogurt layer with a couple tablespoons of the nut and seed mixture.
- Sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of berries on top of the nut mixture then begin again with yogurt.
- Repeat the layers until all ingredients have been used.
- Seal mason jars or cover glasses with plastic wrap until you’re ready to serve.