The ultimate make-ahead breakfast recipe, chocolate peanut butter overnight oats soak in the fridge to be perfect come morning.
In this Post: Everything you need for Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
We love a good, quick breakfast in my house. With two busy boys approaching their teen years, and my husband and I both working, there is always somewhere for us to be rushing to! Overnight oats is a favorite of ours, as it’s filling and delicious but takes no time in the morning when you need the break. My Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats is one that we continuously come back to, though you can customize overnight oats in lots of ways!
- Milk: I use low-fat milk, but you could make this with any nondairy alternative, like almond milk or coconut milk.
- Yogurt: You could use vanilla flavored if it’s all you have, but I like to use plain yogurt. Use Greek yogurt to up the protein, or a nondairy yogurt for a vegan option.
- Banana: Acts as a natural sweetener and full of vitamins and nutrients.
- Peanut butter: Packed full of protein and naturally sweet and creamy, I like to use natural peanut butter for my oats.
- Cocoa powder: Rich, chocolate flavor that pairs well with peanut butter, cocoa powder is also full of antioxidants.
- Cinnamon: Adds just a bit of spice to balance out the flavors.
- Vanilla: Vanilla helps to enhance the flavors around it.
- Old fashioned oats: Also called rolled oats, they are full of fiber, iron, and magnesium. They soak to become a soft and chewy texture.
- Flax seed meal: Doesn’t add anything in flavor, but they add a ton of nutrients like omega 3 fatty acids.
How to Make Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
Start your overnight oats by mixing your yogurt with your milk in a large bowl or measuring cup.
Then add the mashed banana.
Whisk until it’s combined.
Then in a separate cup, melt your peanut butter in the microwave and add to the milk mixture.
Next you’ll add the cocoa powder and cinnamon.
Drizzle in the vanilla and stir.
Next add the flax seed meal.
And finish by adding your rolled oats.
Stir until everything is evenly mixed and all ingredients are incorporated.
Divvy the mixture out into separate cups, or keep it in one bowl and refrigerate overnight. The next morning, take it out, and enjoy your chocolate peanut butter overnight oats!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Are overnight oats good for weight loss?
Meal prep is a great way to help you with weight loss goals, and eating foods that are high in protein will keep you feeling full for longer, helping you cut calories. Overnight oats with peanut butter (which has that protein) can help you with these goals!
Is it OK to eat oatmeal everyday?
Yes! Oatmeal is a great healthy breakfast or snack to maintain a strong diet.
Are overnight oats better with milk or water?
Milk adds a creaminess that makes the oats more enjoyable to eat, in my opinion.
More Breakfast Recipes
- Vegetable Hash Breakfast Skillet
- Banana Raspberry Chia Smoothie
- Almond Flour Berry Muffins
- Apple Cinnamon Protein Pancakes
- Baked Oatmeal with Berries
Did you try this recipe and like it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your dish.
The best part about my chocolate peanut butter overnight oats is that I can prep a big batch on Sunday and my boys or I can just scoop out a serving each morning, and you could make it that easy, too!
Your spoon is waiting.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- 2 cups low fat milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 ½ cups plain whole milk yogurt
- 1 ripe banana (mashed)
- ¼ cup creamy natural peanut butter (melted)
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill organic old fashioned oats
- ¼ cup flax seed meal
- melted peanut butter and chocolate chips (optional garnish to serve)
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, yogurt, mashed banana, melted peanut butter, cocoa powder, cinnamon and vanilla. Stir in oats and flax seed to incorporate.
- Divide mixture between four glass jars or keep in bowl and refrigerator overnight. Garnish to serve with additional melted peanut butter or chocolate chips if you wish.