The ultimate make-ahead breakfast recipe, refrigerator oats are soaked overnight in a chocolate peanut butter yogurt mixture.
My boys both love oatmeal and it makes me so happy. Not only because they’re both into the same breakfast at the same time but because oatmeal is one of the most nutritious ways to start the day – whether you’re a kid or an adult!
I have a confession to make: my kids think flax seed meal is brown sugar. My dirty secret? I store it in an air-tight container, out of the packaging, and sprinkle it on top of everything from cereal to oatmeal to yogurt.
The best part about refrigerator oatmeal is that I can prep a big batch on Sunday and just scoop it out each morning when I need it. To start, you simply whisk together plain, unsweetened yogurt with milk, melted peanut butter, cocoa powder, cinnamon and vanilla. A ripe, mashed banana adds sweetness with the benefits of fiber.
Speaking of fiber, I fold in old fashioned oats and flax seed meal which then soak overnight in the yogurt mixture. In as little as 60 minutes, the oats begin to absorb the liquid and soften which is why this recipe requires no cooking!
Of course, the best part about overnight oats is that you can garnish them however you wish in the morning. Some days we just add banana slices and blueberries, other days we get crazy with more melted peanut butter and chocolate chips. The world is your oyster.
Your spoon is waiting.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- 2 cups low fat milk or milk of choice
- 1 1/2 cups plain whole milk yogurt
- 1 ripe banana mashed
- 1/4 cup creamy natural peanut butter melted
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill organic old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- melted peanut butter and chocolate chips optional garnish to serve
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, yogurt, mashed banana, melted peanut butter, cocoa powder, cinnamon and vanilla. Stir in oats and flax seed to incorporate.
- Divide mixture between four glass jars or keep in bowl and refrigerator overnight. Garnish to serve with additional melted peanut butter or chocolate chips if you wish.
Disclosure: I am honored to be in a long term partnership with Bob’s Red Mill. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Lemon Bowl possible. All thoughts are my own.
Photography by Alejandro Photography // Recipe by The Lemon Bowl
Want more healthy breakfast recipes? Check out my Pinterest board!