This classic salty dog cocktail is made with vodka or gin, grapefruit juice, lime juice, and a salt rim. Ideal for two or a crowd!
In this Post: Everything you need for Classic Salty Dog Cocktail Recipe
As you know, I am always entertaining and hosting parties for friends and family. One of my favorite aspects of playing hostess is creating quick, easy, and crowd-pleasing cocktails that can be mixed together in advance. Recently I threw together this Classic Salty Dog Cocktail that uses just a few, simple ingredients. If you love margaritas with salt, you will love this citrusy cocktail recipe.
- Lime: Citrusy, fresh, bright flavor to bind the salt to the rim and blend with the grapefruit.
- Kosher salt: Chunky, bigger flakes of salt to stick to the rim and add that salty flavor.
- Vodka or gin: Both are pretty neutral when it comes to alcohol, but the gin’s juniper berries can add an extra layer of flavor.
- Grapefruit juice: Strong, citrus flavor that can be sweet and sour, and is enhanced by the salt.
How to Make A Classic Salty Dog Cocktail
Start your salty dog cocktail by mixing your grapefruit juice with your vodka or gin.
Then take your fresh lime and cut it into wedges.
Take your lime wedges and run them around the rims of your glasses.
Then take the still wet rim and gently spin it in a plate of kosher salt.
Once your salt rims are done on your glasses, fill them with ice.
Pour your grapefruit and vodka/gin mixture over the ice in each glass. Garnish with a lime wedge, and enjoy your classic salty dog cocktail!
Frequently asked questions:
What’s the difference between a paloma and a salty dog?
The difference is the alcohol- a paloma typically is made with tequila.
Why is it called a salty dog cocktail?
It’s called a salty dog because the drink itself is the same as a Greyhound, but has the added salt around the rim. Hence, a salty dog!
Can I prepare this cocktail ahead of time?
Absolutely! I like to mix the grapefruit and vodka a day before I plan to entertain friends. I keep it in a pitcher in the refrigerator and use it as needed. Then, when my guests arrive, I salt each rim one by one. It’s a great way to break the ice as guests arrive and it gets them involved and excited about their drink!
More Easy Cocktails
- Pomegranate Sangria with Winter Citrus
- Homemade Blueberry Vodka Lemonade
- Lemon Basil White Wine Spritzer
- Rosemary Moscow Mule
- Caribbean Rum Punch Cocktail
Did you try this recipe and like it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your drink.
Easily made ahead of time for a party, or simple enough to whip up just to enjoy yourself, the classic salty dog cocktail is refreshing and perfect for whatever occasion!
Your straw is waiting.
Classic Salty Dog Cocktail Recipe
- 2 lime wedges (for rimming the glasses)
- 2 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 6 ounces vodka or gin
- 12 ounces grapefruit juice (pink)
- lime or grapefruit slices (optional garnish)
- Rim the glasses with salt by rubbing eat glass with a lime wedge. Place salt on a small plate then rub the glass around to coat the rim with salt. Fill each rimmed glass with ice.
- In a small pitcher or cocktail shaker, mix together vodka or gin with grapefruit juice. Pour between four glasses to serve.