Slow Cooker Italian Pot Roast comes together in minutes and will permeate your house with the aromas of rosemary, garlic and red wine while it cooks.
Whenever I leave town, I like to stock the fridge with plenty of ready-to-eat meals that my husband or babysitter can quickly reheat. One of the not-so-secret reasons Rich doesn’t mind me leaving is because it gives him the opportunity to eat his favorite foods (read: pizza and burgers). To break up the fast food rotation, Slow Cooker Italian Pot Roast is one of my favorite meals to prepare for them. Seasoned with fresh rosemary, lots of garlic and dry red wine, this pot roast is always a huge hit and usually lasts at least a couple days.
- Beef roast: A rump roast, eye of round roast, or chuck roast are all perfect for pot roasts, as they have a very beefy flavor and don’t dry out easy.
- Kosher salt: The larger flakes help to stick to the beef and enhance natural flavors.
- Olive oil: A heart healthy oil to help sear and lock in juices of the beef.
- Garlic: Sweet, nutty, pungent, aromatic flavor added to the beef and broth.
- Rosemary: Woodsy, peppery, almost piney flavor that pairs great with the beef and sauce.
- Celery: Doesn’t have a very strong flavor, but does a great job soaking up the flavors around it as it cooks. Celery is also chalk-full of vitamins and nutrients.
- Carrots: Can cook slowly and not end up too mushy, and they add a slightly sweet element to the roast.
- Tomatoes: I’ll usually use a can of whole, peeled tomatoes as they add a lot of flavor and acidity to the roast. But you could use Roma tomatoes and do it all from scratch if you wanted!
- Beef broth: Adds a delicious and flavorful sauce for the roast to cook in.
- Red wine: Adds acidity, but also helps to tenderize the meat and keep it moist. You can use a pinot noir, merlot, or cabernet sauvignon.
How to Make Slow Cooker Italian Pot Roast
Start your Italian beef roast by seasoning the raw beef with kosher salt and black pepper.
Then drizzle some olive oil into a pan on medium-high heat and sear the beef on all sides to lock in the juices.
Next add the garlic cloves and rosemary sprigs.
Followed by the chopped vegetables and peeled tomatoes.
Then pour in the beef broth.
And a bit of a dry red wine. You could also just add more beef broth if you don’t have wine on hand.
Season with some salt and pepper to taste.
Cover with the lid and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4.
To serve, remove the beef and let rest for about 10 minutes before either shredding or slicing against the grain. Serve alongside the vegetables and some mashed potatoes, and top with fresh parsley. Enjoy your Slow Cooker Italian Pot Roast!
Shake Things Up
- Add more veggies. Like any roast, the vegetables you use is pretty forgiving. Add in some onions, potatoes,
- Use fresh herbs. If you have basil, oregano, or parsley, they’d be great additions to the roast along with the rosemary.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you overcook a pot roast in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can overcook things in a slow cooker. It’s why I always recommend cooking on low for a longer period of time, as it lowers your chances of overcooking something!
Why is my roast still tough in the crock pot?
It could come down to a couple things. You might not have used the right cut of meat, it might not have been cooked long enough, or you didn’t use enough liquid!
Can you freeze leftover pot roast?
The beef itself, yes you can! I wouldn’t recommend freezing the cooked vegetables though, as they’ll just get mushy.
More Slow Cooker Meals
Eat It, Like It, Share It!
Did you try this recipe and like it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your dish.
If you need a hearty meal that you can set and then forget, this Slow Cooker Italian Pot Roast is the answer to your prayers.
Your fork is waiting.
Slow Cooker Italian Pot Roast
- 1 three pound beef roast (chuck will produce the most tender result)
- 5 teaspoons kosher salt (divided)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic (peeled left whole)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 celery stalks (quartered)
- 2 carrots (peeled and quartered)
- 32 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine (or additional beef broth)
- fresh parsley (to serve)
- Take the beef roast out of the refrigerator and let come to room temperature by sitting on the counter 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle roast evenly with 3 teaspoons kosher salt and all of the pepper.
- Heat a Dutch oven or large pan over high heat (or insert of Slow Cooker with Stove Top Browning) then add olive oil.
- Sear beef roast on all sides, rotating every 3-4 minutes, so that it forms a golden brown crust on all sides. Remove from pan and place in slow cooker if you didn’t use the stove-top-safe slow cooker insert.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the slow cooker: garlic, rosemary, celery, carrots, tomatoes, beef broth, wine and remaining 2 teaspoons of kosher salt.
- Heat on Low for 8 Hours.
- To serve, remove beef from slow cooker and let rest 10 minutes. Shred with fork is slice against the grain. Serve with vegetables on the side and fresh parsley.