This fresh tomato and cucumber salad is made with creamy feta, bright lemon juice and fragrant basil. It tastes like summer on a plate.
Growing up, we always had a fresh salad on the table to enjoy with dinner. It wasn’t until later in life that I realized not everyone grew up eating salad every night like we did but boy am I grateful because now my boys eat salads every night, too.
If you think all salads are made with a lettuce base, think again. Don’t get me wrong, we love lettuce-based salads like Syrian salad and Greek salad but my mom was also the queen of platter salads where she would literally scatter whatever veggies she had on hand or purchased at the farmers market that week.
To dress, ditch the bottle and stick with a simple drizzle of olive oil, lemon juice, fresh herbs, salt and pepper. My mom would add feta cheese if she had it, but other times she would skip cheese all together and stick with the crunchy veggies.
- Tomatoes: Juicy tomatoes boast loads of vitamin C and antioxidants, making them an ideal key ingredient for this tasty salad.
- Cucumber: Crisp and refreshing, cucumbers are low calorie, rich in nutrients and have high water content. Opt for English or Persian cucumbers for a sweeter taste.
- Feta cheese: Adds a salty, tangy, rich flavor. Feta is remarkably versatile and you can thinly slice or rumble it for this recipe.
- Olive oil: The ideal base for salad dressing, olive oil is full of antioxidants and healthy fat. This is the perfect recipe to break out high quality extra virgin olive oil since it’s going to be served raw for dressing.
- Lemon juice: Brings a tangy flavor to this irresistable salad. You can always count on lemon juice to brighten any recipe.
- Fresh basil: Adds a savory aroma with a hint of sweetness. This flavorful herb is a great way to enliven salad.
How to Make Tomato Cucumber Salad with Feta and Basil
To get started, first, cut two tomatoes into tomato wedges. The easiest way to do this is to take a large knife, cut the tomatoes in half, then cut them again into quarters. If you want to create smaller wedges, slice the quarters down the center.
Second, slice the cucumbers. As a refresher, take a knife and make thin cuts starting at the end of the cucumber. You can also cut the cucumber in half and slice half-moon cucumbers, depending on your preference for thickness.
Third, slice or crumble the feta cheese. I prefer to cut bite-sized chunks for this tomato cucumber salad. If you prefer crumbled feta, use your hands or a fork to break it up into small pieces.
Fourth, scatter the tomatoes, cucumbers and feta cheese on a large platter. This is one of my favorite parts of this recipe, because I love seeing the bright colors come together!
Fifth, drizzle a little olive oil, lemon juice and add salt and pepper on the tomato cucumber salad. Next, cut fresh basil leaves into thin strips and sprinkle the flavorful herb on top.
Finally, garnish with additional seasoning if you’d like, and serve this tomato cucumber salad family style. (Warning: You might want it all to yourself!)
Frequently Asked Questions
You can store this salad in an airtight container and enjoy it for up to three days.
I recommend crumbly goat cheese, parmesan or queso fresco if you’re considering other cheese options.
Of course! Although this salad tastes best on the day you prepare it, it’s still delicious when it’s served cold, making it ideal for meal prep.
Did you make this recipe? Remember to tag @TheLemonBowl on Instagram to be featured! While you’re here, I also recommend checking out these other recipes:
- Heirloom Tomato and Cucumber Salad with Goat Cheese
- Lebanese Salad Wraps with Hummus and Cucumber Yogurt Sauce
- Wedge Salad with Bacon and Blue Cheese Vinaigrette
- Citrus Salad with Goat Cheese and Pistachios
- Traditional Greek Salad
- Cucumber Zucchini Salad
Your fork is waiting.
Tomato Cucumber Salad with Feta and Basil
- 2 large tomatoes cut in wedges
- 2 cups cucumber slices such as Persian or English
- 4 ounces feta cheese thinly sliced or crumbled
- 8 sprigs fresh basil thinly slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Scatter the tomatoes, cucumbers and feta cheese on a large platter. Sprinkle with fresh basil then drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve family style.