Ahhh….muffin pans. Gotta love built in portion control! As a family of 2, it can be really tempting to “accidentally” eat an entire pound of meat. Ground meat often comes in 1 pound packages. I’m a little creeped out by re-storing 8 oz of leftover ground meat.
My solution? Cook the entire pound and save the leftovers for lunch. Today’s Meatloaf Muffins are perfect because you can create 8 perfect little 2 oz meatloaves. I mean what could be cuter than that?
Before you yell at me for cooking with turkey breast, I want you to know that I did something naughty tonight: I added a little bacon on top! Yes, real, live bacon! From a pig!! Paula Dean would be so proud. :) As I’ve said before, the key to delicious turkey dishes is to incorporate moisture and flavor. By loading up on grated onion, garlic, sundried tomatoes and other seasonings, these meatloaf muffins turn out juicy and tender without the saturated fat and heart-clogging cholesterol from veal, pork or beef as in traditional meatloaf. So here you go – you can have your bacon and eat it too.
Your fork is waiting.
Turkey Meatloaf Muffins with Bacon
- 1 lb ground turkey breast 99% fat free
- 2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp grill seasoning
- 1 clove large garlic grated
- ¼ c grated parmigiano reggiano
- 4 sundried tomatoes minced
- ¼ medium onion grated
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 slices bacon cut into 8 pieces
- ¼ c ketchup
- 2 tbs Dijon mustard
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Divide mixture into 8 and place into 8 muffin cups, pressing gently to fit.
- In a small bowl, mix ketchup and mustard.
- Using a small brush or spoon, spread sauce evenly on all muffin cups. Top each muffin with 1 piece of bacon.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Turn oven to broil and heat an additional 2 minutes to crisp bacon.