Cool, creamy and delicious – this vitamin-packed smoothie not only tastes great but is full of protein and fiber to give you lasting energy.
June is National Dairy Month so to celebrate the occasion, my friends at American Dairy Association Mideast asked me to create a smoothie recipe. (Twist my arm.)
As you probably know by now, I am smoothie obsessed. I loved smoothies before I became a mother but once my son started eating yogurt at around 8 months he has been drinking smoothies almost daily. Smoothies are the ideal breakfast-in-a-glass packed with vitamins and nutrients to give you lasting energy.
Speaking of dairy, last year I had the unique opportunity to attend the Ohio Dairy Adventure where I got to see first hand how dairy goes from farm to plate. Every girl needs to milk a cow once in her life. It was my time. :)
Dairy has always been an important part of my healthy lifestyle but now that I’m pregnant I pay even more attention to getting my 3-a-day servings. Here are a few dairy facts you may not know:
- Milk contains nine essential nutrients, making it one of the most nutrient-dense beverages you can enjoy. Milk is the single greatest source of three of the four nutrients the Dietary Guidelines identified as lacking in the American diet – calcium, vitamin D and potassium.
- Experts recommend three servings of low fat or fat-free dairy foods every day, yet most of us need to add one daily serving of nutrient-rich dairy to help meet recommendations.
- Studies show nutrient-rich dairy foods, when consumed as part of a healthy diet, may help to reduce the risk of diseases such as osteoporosis, hypertension, heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
- One milk group serving is equal to: an 8-ounce glass of milk; a 6- or 8-ounce container of yogurt; and 1½ ounces of natural cheese or 2 ounces of processed cheese.
To celebrate the start of summer and chat more about healthy summertime recipes, I will be participating in a June Dairy Moo-nth Twitter Party on June 19th at 8PM ET. Would love to have you join me – simply use #BarnParty to join the conversation.
Your straw is waiting.
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1 banana
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 handfuls ice
Place all ingredients in a high speed blender and puree until smooth.
Serve in a large glass and enjoy.
If using frozen berries or bananas, feel free to reduce the amount of ice you add before blending.
Disclosure: I was hired by the American Dairy Association Mideast to create a smoothie recipe in honor of June Dairy Month. As always, all thoughts are 100% my own.