My family’s favorite Lebanese fattoush salad becomes a main dish when topped with tender, juicy chicken tawook and crispy za’atar-scented baked pita chips.
Whenever I cook chicken, pork, or steak I always try to double or triple the batch to use throughout the week for a quick lunch or to help with another dinner. Cooking once and eating twice is the name of the game around here. That was the inspiration for my Chicken Tawook Fattoush Salad, which combines my Shish Tawook Chicken recipe with my Lebanese Fattoush Salad, creating a new and delicious dish.
- Fattoush salad: Romaine lettuce, tomato, cucumber, red onion, parsley.
- Fattoush salad dressing: Lemon juice, olive oil, za’atar, sumac, dried mint, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pita chips: Pita bread, olive oil, za’atar, salt and pepper.
- Tawook chicken: Chicken breasts, lemon, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
How to Make Chicken Tawook Fattoush Salad
Start your Chicken Tawook Fattoush Salad by marinating your chicken. Cut your chicken breasts, put the cubed chicken into a bowl, and add the garlic.
Then add the lemon juice on top.
And season with salt and pepper. Let chicken marinade for at least 20 minutes.
While chicken is marinating, get your pita chips into the oven at 350 degrees. Put the cut pita pieces on a prepared baking sheet, drizzling with olive oil, za’atar, and salt. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Once chicken has finished marinating, cook over medium-high heat until browned on all sides. Remove and set aside.
Next, prepare your salad by chopping the lettuce, parsley, tomato, cucumber, and onion.
Put all chopped vegetables into a large bowl.
Top salad with za’atar, sumac, dried mint, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and some salt and pepper to taste.
Then break up the pita chips to top the salad as well.
Finish by adding the tawook chicken, then serve and enjoy!
Change It Up
- Make it gluten free. Omit the pita chips and this salad becomes gluten free!
- Make it vegan or vegetarian. Skip the tawook chicken to keep this dish animal-produce free.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do I have to use fresh ingredients?
You can use bottled lemon juice and pre-minced garlic, but the flavor won’t be as fresh or strong.
What is fattoush?
Fattoush is a middle eastern salad that gets its name from the pita chips used to garnish it, because it uses “fatta,” or day-old flat bread.
How do I store leftover Chicken Tawook Fattoush Salad?
I would keep the chicken and salad separate, otherwise the lettuce can get wilted. But kept separately in air-tight containers, leftovers will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge.
More Lebanese Favorites
- Chicken Shawarma Pita with Tahini Sauce
- Vegan Tomato Kibbeh
- Lebanese Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
- Garlicky Greens with Caramelized Onions (Hindbeh)
- Lebanese Stuffed Kousa Squash
Like It, Eat It, Share It!
Did you try this salad and love it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your dish.
Chicken Tawook Fattoush Salad is everything you want in a satisfying entree salad: juicy chicken, crisp vegetables, crunchy pita chips and a zesty lemon garlic vinaigrette to go on top. It is heaven in every single bite.
Your fork is waiting.
Chicken Tawook Fattoush Salad
- 4 cups romaine (chopped)
- 1 large tomato (diced)
- 1 cup cucumber (diced)
- ½ cup red onion (thinly sliced)
- 3 radishes (thinly sliced, optional)
- ¼ cup parsley (minced)
Fattoush Salad Dressing
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut in 1-inch pieces)
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Begin by marinading the chicken: in a medium bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Add chicken cubes to the bowl and toss well. Marinate for 20 minutes.
- While chicken is marinading, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the pita pieces in a medium bowl and toss well with olive oil, salt and za'atar. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Spread pita in a single layer then bake until crispy, about 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- To prepare the salad, place all of the veggies in a large bowl (romaine through parsley) then sprinkle with the baked pita chips, gently crunching them up in your hands. Drizzle salad with the dressing ingredients then toss well.
- To cook the chicken, place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once warmed, add the chicken. Saute chicken until golden brown, stirring frequently, about 9-12 minutes.
- To serve, place fattoush salad on a large plate and add chicken on top right before serving.