A modern twist on the classic margarita, fresh cilantro adds a fun twist and a bit of freshness to this light and refreshing Cilantro Margarita cocktail recipe.
When it comes to cocktails, I always love a good margarita for its light and refreshing nature. However, it should come as no surprise that I like to experiment with flavor, and my drinks aren’t excluded from that curiosity. This Cilantro Margarita is a slight twist on the classic drink, but it’s so simple and easy, you can be sipping and relaxing in less than 5 minutes!
- Tequila: Silver or white is the way to go when it comes to making any cocktails with tequila.
- Orange: I love to use freshly squeezed orange juice for my drinks, but you could use bought as well.
- Lime: Lime juice adds to the traditional margarita flavor, and pairs so well with tequila.
- Cilantro: The fresh, citrusy, somewhat pepper flavor of cilantro blends perfectly with the rest of the margarita ingredients.
- Sparkling water: You can’t go wrong with Topo Chico, but any kind of sparkling water will work. You could experiment as well and use flavored club soda like grapefruit, or add more lime taste!
How to Make a Cilantro Margarita
To begin your cilantro margarita, prepare your glasses by making a salted rim. Use some fresh lime juice and run it over the rim of your glass, then either dip the rim into a bowl of kosher salt, or sprinkle it on with a spoon. While a salted rim isn’t essential, it sure makes the drink more fun.
Next take a cocktail shaker and pour in the fresh orange juice and lime juice over ice.
Then add the cilantro leaves, removing them from the stems entirely. If you want to strengthen the flavor, you could try to muddle the ingredients further, but I find shaking them together does the trick.
Then add a couple ounces of tequila. I like my drinks less sweet, but here is where you could also add some simple syrup if you like them on the sweeter side. Once everything is in your shaker, put on the lid and shake vigorously for about a minute.
Strain the mixture into your glasses filled with more ice. Top each one off with your favorite sparkling water.
Garnish with additional lime slices and fresh cilantro sprigs, serve, and enjoy your Cilantro Margaritas!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is cilantro good in drinks?
Cilantro is great to add to lots of cocktails, or can also be added to smoothies!
Can I use triple sec instead of orange juice?
You could definitely use triple sec instead of orange juice and you’ll still get the orange flavor you need, you just also get a higher alcohol content!
How do I make a virgin margarita?
Swap out the tequila for more sparkling water and you’ve got yourself a mocktail! You could also try mixing different flavored sparkling waters together to jazz it up as much as you can without the alcohol.
- Frozen Mango Margaritas
- Ranch Water Cocktail
- Classic Salty Dog Cocktail
- Lemon Basil White Wine Spritzer
- Frozen Boozy Cucumber Lemonade
Drink It, Like It, Share It!
Did you try this drink and love it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your drink.
If you’re looking for a refreshing way to wind down at the end of a long day, or a long week. then my Cilantro Margarita is the perfect, quick answer you’re looking for.
Your straw is waiting.
- 8 ounces silver tequila
- 1 large orange (seedless)
- 4 ounces lime juice (freshly squeezed)
- 4 sprigs cilantro (larger ones preferably )
- 2 ounces simple syrup (optional, to taste)
- sparkling water (any flavor such as lime or grapefruit)
- salt, lime wedges (optional garnish)
- To rim the glasses, gently moisten the rim of four glasses with a lime wedge. Pour about ¼ cup of salt on a plate then gently move the moistened rim around to coat with the salt. Fill each glass with ice then set aside.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add tequila, orange juice, lime juice and cilantro. If adding simple syrup, add that as well (to taste.) Shake vigorously, 60-90 seconds, then pour mixture over four glasses, about ⅔ full. Top each glass with sparkling water to serve. Garnish with lime and cilantro if you wish.