An easy and flavorful side dish, these green beans with lemon and dill is the perfect vegetarian side dish to add to any meal.
Have you had enough healthy fat today? A little fat goes a long way when it comes to the absorption of vitamins and minerals found in produce. In fact, without a bit of fat, your body is not able to fully absorb all of the nutrients. Now wouldn’t it be silly to eat all of those veggies for nothing? Before you reach for the Velveeta, I want to give a few suggestions on healthy pairings that utilize MUFA’s (mono-unsaturated fatty acids.) Here are some ideas, morning, noon and night:
- Add walnuts and berries to your oatmeal or cereal.
- Sprinkle bananas and natural peanut butter on your (whole wheat) toast.
- Toss seeds and fruit into your yogurt.
- Spread hummus on your veggie sandwich.
- Add toasted nuts to your salad.
- Use avocado instead of cheese on your turkey sandwich.
- Make potato salad with olive oil and lemon juice instead of mayo.
- Dress your salad with olive oil and lemon juice.
- Drizzle sesame oil on steamed veggies or stir-fry.
- Mix toasted almonds in with your green beans.
Your fork is waiting.
Green Beans with Dill
- 1 lb green beans trimmed
- 1/2 Juice of a lemon
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 c fresh dill minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place a steamer basket over 2 inches of water and bring to boil.
- Steam green beans for about 4-5 minutes, until bright green. *Do not over cook.*
- Meanwhile, wisk lemon juice with olive oil, dill, salt and pepper.
- Remove steamed green beans from pot and place in a bowl.
- Toss well with lemon dill mixture and serve immediately.